struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Lowe" <mel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FRIDAY] Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:49:26 GMT
I've stayed out of this silly thread up until now, but i guess its
time to be silly as well..

Now I imagine that I'll get burned by micheal o'grady (dakota jack)
for quoting this, but Ted's central principle that "darwin decides" is
a sound one. Its sound because it's also a principle that doesn't
state that struts or anything is good because its better or because he
influenced a group of people to act in a certain way, but because a
technology survives the ecological pressures of the economy and
projects that adopt such a approach remain profitable.

Now natural selection doesn't produce perfection, even in biology, but
what you can be sure if is that any organism that lives today has been
begat by organisms that have survived "well enough". If best technical
solutions always won then betamax would have won the video wars.

While struts is adopted and projects survive the ecological pressures
of engineering and economics it will probably survive. If a different
technoloy is adopted by other folk and they can knock out projects for
less then they will "probably" outlive struts or at least have a
better chance.

But all these abstract principles of perfection serve very little.
>From a darwinian perspective a ford motor car is more successful than
a ferrari. Now my understanding of the apache development that if
solutions (commits, patches etc) are best when they are real world
solutions, by facilitating these "adaptations" software is more likey
to survive ecological pressures because the adaptations are in direct
response to the enviornment in which these products find themselves.

The other important factor to have a healthy ecosystem that there is
never a single organism/technology that covers all niches. Its also
true that in a single ecosystem there are never two organisms that
occupy the same niche for very long. This is nature, and I don't see
the human activity of software development being very different.

I could carry on, but I wont.. What the main point is that it doesn't
really matter what anyone thinks of this and that. What will survive
will survive (excuse the tautology). Ferrari survives as does ford
(albeit from selling the financial products to buy their goods) they
occupy different niches. In the case of betamax and vhs only one
survived because they occupy the same niche. All any of us can do is
try and knock out projects as best and as cheaply as possible, and
darwin will decide the rest. Central to a good ecosystem is diversity.

Mark