struts-user mailing list archives

From bra...@bitstream.net
Subject Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:35:30 GMT
I just thought I'd chime in here even though I haven't been following the
arguments all along.  As background - I'm working a contract where we use
JSF with ADF controls mixed in.  I have had a very pleasant experience
using JSF with Eclipse though most of my previous experience was with
Struts.  There are some problems with refreshing pages and hitting the
backbutton but aside from that it's been good to be able to (for instance)
tie buttons directly to methods on backing beans.

The ADF controls have some pretty cool features.  Like partial updates
which essentially use Ajax to update part of the page without a full
refresh.  However the ADF controls haven't been nearly as customizable as
the customer wanted so we've had to "make do" in places where we should
have been able to redesign.  Recently we found out that a contract had
never been negotiated with Oracle on using the ADF controls so we started
that process.  It turned out we couldn't get the controls by themselves
and the cost would be around $50,000.  For that amount I could have spent
6 months developing the few controls we really needed myself and they'd be
customized (or customizable) to our needs...but it was too late for
anything like that.  Then ADF was given to Apache - but not everything we
needed such as the look and feel - which would take us months to create on
our own.  So if we wanted to go live we had to pay off Oracle.  This is a
special case but it does exhibit how it can be dangerous to go with a
closed source solution without knowing what you're getting into.

Braedan Hegberg