struts-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Jouravlev" <jmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Java Hosting Providers, yes, I know it's been brought up before on the list.
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:07:46 GMT
> On 3/1/06, Rick Reumann <rickcr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Of my mailing list searching, this hosting provider seems to hold the most
> > promise:
> >
> > http://www.lunarpages.com/plan2.php
>

> I wouldn't... LunarPages has a habit of just disabling access to anything
> that they suspect is causing a problem.  Sometimes they have a legitimate
> point, sometimes they just say you're "using too many resources" or
> "affecting other customers on the server".

This sucks.

> And look at the things that they say are not allowed, including JSF and
> Spring:
>     http://helpdesk.lunarpages.com/faq.php?do=article&articleid=120

Would works for me with JSP + Struts + iBATIS ;)

I use eroute.net, signed up about two years ago, so I pay about ten
bucks a month for shared hosting. Now they charge $17, I am not sure
would I sign up right now.

Pro: pretty fast and friendly email responses, ftp (you can drop the
files you need wherever you want them), mysql/postgres, can use pretty
much any libraries you like, can have several web apps on one plan.

Cons: need to email them to reboot the server (this really is not a
drawback since the server is shared anyway). Several times I found my
app unavailable in the past apparently because it was hosted on a
server instance that was being rebooted a lot. They probably moved my
app on another instance with less reboots, because my demos are
available now most of the time. Have to pay extra for Tomcat5, they
still use Tomcat4 on standard plan. Kinda slow, ok for demos, but for
a real app I would ask for more memory.

All in all, works for me for the money I pay and the kind of demos I
have. For a larger high-avail application... I am not sure.

I was considering rimuhosting, at that time I could get a dedicated
server for about $25. I guess they do not have this prices anymore :)
I did not sign for it because they basically give you access to a
Linux machine and then you are on your own. Which is great for a Linux
guru, but I am a Windows guy :)

Michael.