struts-user mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: has struts reached the saturation
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:21:50 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzlists@omnytex.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:37 AM

> I will say though, and I have said in the past, that accepting some of
> the new ideas that come around every now and again, even if you don't
> buy into them 100%, might help Struts grow quite a bit.  I understand
> you can't accept things you totally disagree with, and you can't accept
> things you aren't willing to support yourself, but I do think there is
> *some* degree of flexibility that perhaps isn't there now that could be.
>   I think that's another topic for another day though :)

I agree, I would put all sorts of things in if I had time and to a certain
extent I have. OK most of what I have done is a few minor enhancements and
quite a few bug fixes - but alot of them didn't benefit me. I've done quite
a bit on i18n and I don't have an i81n app. Recently I added
EventDispatchAction which I don't plan to use - but I appreciate the fact
that Paul and Michael take part alot in this community and had put in quite
a bit of effort trying to get it accepted.

> Back OT... I think #1 and #3 should be clarified... it's not "people"
> that don't like/agree or have interest or not... it's committers.  They
> are the ones that ultimately make the decisions (on Struts, just like
> any other project) on what goes in.  Unless you have something that
> there is huge community support for already, but I dare say that rarely
> happens.  I'm not passing judgment in any form by the way, this is how
> an open-source project works, but in the interest of accuracy, I believe
> that is the correct way to state it.

Yes I meant committers.

Sorry not getting into politics, theres enough to get flamed on without
that! I would say though that I don't think anyones hiding the fact that JSF
was designed with tools in mind. Some would even say thats a good thing! The
thing I find really dishonest though, is I thought I would have to pay for
java studio creator and now I find its free. This is just completely out of
order and I feel let down and mis-lead. Same goes for ADF faces and
JDeveloper.

Niall