struts-user mailing list archives

From panti...@firstenergycorp.com
Subject Picking a framework
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:09:21 GMT
Hello,

I realize that this is not the most unbiased group  : )  but it seems to be
a very sensible and well behaved (no nasty name calling like you find on
some other groups). So I'm hoping not to get beat up when I ask this.

We have been using Struts for about 4 years now and we've never updated..
Don't ask why!

Anyway, now we're moving to a new J2EE development environment and trying
to decide how to build apps going forward Struts is the logical choice
because we know it. However, one of the big issues we have with Struts
right now is that it still involves a lot of things to be done "by hand". I
don't mind but management keeps coming back at us with "how come the .NET
group can crank out the webapps so much faster? Why do you have to build
all these common components? Why does it take so long?  blah, blah, blah"

I know that part of the problem is that we're on such an old version of
Struts. I also know that there are a ton of Java (Struts, JSF, Spring,
Turbine, Tapestry, Cocoon, ) frameworks and tools out there. Since this is
a good time to make a change (upgrade or switch) I want to make sure we
don't make the wrong choice. But I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with
everything out there. How does one pick? Once you commit to one it's not
easy to change.

I know some will come back with "it depends on your situation and
experience" I understand that. Obviously, Struts has an advantage because
our are comfortable with it.

I'm sure there are tools that make development (especially the Visual part
of the MVC) quicker in java but I am having a hard time sifting thru
everything to find them

Has anyone seen any good comprehensive reviews/investigations of the
various frameworks?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long rambling message.

David

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.