struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Picking a framework
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:14:15 GMT
On 11/9/05, Dave Newton <newton@pingsite.com> wrote:
> Believe me, I have little love for the .NET development experience
> (although C# is pretty nice as "normal" languages go) but...

I've been working in .NET for about a year and a half now. Once we
started to ignore the usual examples and try to use the framework the
way Anders intended, it's become a real pleasure to use. We call a
Commons Chain port from our code-behinds and let Commands do all the
heavy-lifting. We use Subversion for version control, MySQL for the
database, iBATIS for the data access layer, and Spring.Web for
dependency injection. Once you plug JetBrains Resharper into VStudio,
I pretty much feel like I'm coding in Java again. :) The platforms are
very much alike; core skills transfer.

Of course, for a sanity check, we still use Linux boxes to run
Subversion and MySQL. We haven't done it yet, but we keep thinking of
putting Mono on one of the Linux boxes, so that we have another server
for testing. Mono turns ASP.NET into a "run anywhere" environment too.

-Ted.