struts-user mailing list archives

From "Murray Collingwood" <mur...@focus-computing.com.au>
Subject Record locking
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:55:28 GMT
Hi all

As long as I have been on this list I have never heard anybody discuss record locking.
The scenario is very simple:

1. User A clicks an "edit" option to edit a record.
2. While user A is editing the record user B clicks the same "edit" option
3. Both users are now editing the same record (or so they think)
4. User A clicks "save" and the record is updated and displays the changes made by
user A - user A is happy
5. User B clicks "save" and these changes overwirte the changes made by user A,
however user B doesn't know this and the changes made by user B appear.

Sometime later user A realises that the changes made have disappeared and gets
angry and begins throwing large objects around the room and making lots of loudish
gutteral noises in an attempt to disperse inner emotional anxiety.

Well, you get the picture.

Q. Does Struts assume that the developer will code in the appropriate record locks in
the database?

Q. Does anybody actually do this?

Q. How?  What type of record locking do you use?

TIA
mc

FOCUS Computing - web design
Mob: 0415 24 26 24