struts-user mailing list archives

From "Holshausen, Ron" <rholshau...@cosa.de>
Subject RE: Error message not very helpful
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:24:05 GMT
Hi Murray,

I would guess that you are using <jsp:getProperty ...> on an object that
is null. Check your objects that you are accessing in the page. If the
data is coming from a database, it could be a null column.

-----Original Message-----
From: Murray Collingwood [mailto:murray@focus-computing.com.au]
Sent: 15 September 2005 16:19
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: Error message not very helpful

Hi all

I came across this message this afternoon.  I've tried stepping through
with the
debugger but can't seem to work out why I keep getting this error.  The
code appears to
be okay, the bean and property are set correctly.  I'm assuming it is
something in my
"display.jsp" file but there is nothing obvious - it seems to fail after
I have updated some
related tables.  Normal display of the data is working okay.

Do you think the error message could tell me which property it was
trying to retrieve
from which bean?  The message is:

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling
this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Attempted a bean operation on a null
object.

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.handleGetProperty(JspRuntime
Library.ja
va:601)

org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.pages.tours.display_jsp._jspService(display_j
sp.java:18
9)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:99)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:325)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:245)

org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.doFilter(MonitorFi
lter.java:362)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.jav
a:1063)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(RequestPr
ocessor.ja
va:386)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:
229)

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1194)

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:432)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)

org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.doFilter(MonitorFi
lter.java:362)

Kind regards
mc

FOCUS Computing
Mob: 0415 24 26 24
murray@focus-computing.com.au
http://www.focus-computing.com.au

E-Mail Disclaimer

Aus Rechts- und Sicherheitsgruenden ist die in dieser E-Mail gegebene
Information nicht rechtsverbindlich. Eine rechtsverbindliche Bestaetigung
reichen wir Ihnen gerne auf Anforderung in schriftlicher Form nach.
Beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der unautorisierten Nutzung,
Veroeffentlichung, Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser
E-Mail nicht gestattet ist. Diese Nachricht ist ausschliesslich fuer
den bezeichneten Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt. Sollten Sie
nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser E-Mail oder dessen Vertreter sein,
so bitten wir Sie, sich mit dem Absender der E-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen.

For legal and security reasons the information provided in this e-mail is not
legally binding. Upon request we would be pleased to provide you with a legally
binding confirmation in written form. Any form of unauthorised use, publication,
reproduction, copying or disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
This message is exclusively for the person addressed or their representative.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message and its contents, please
notify the sender immediately.