struts-user mailing list archives

From Rick Reumann <strut...@reumann.net>
Subject Re: [JSF] using a jsp:forward to get to backing bean method?
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:27:10 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote the following on 8/22/2005 12:50 PM:

> It doesn't ... if you want to fire the standard request processing
> lifecycle, you need to actually submit the request.  Using
> <jsp:forward page="/foo.faces"/> will cause "/foo.jsp" to be rendered
> (assuming you are using the standard extension mappings), entering the
> JSF lifecycle at the Render Response phase.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve with <jsp:forward> that can't be
> solved a different way?

What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to handle setting up an
initial page when someone goes to the welcome page defined in web.xml
(ie index.jsp). What's the best way to handle this? On page 20 of Core
JSF they give the example of doing something like <jsp:forward
page="/index.faces"/> but I don't see how this would ever trigger a
method in my backing bean?

For example, in this sample CRUD app I was wanting to load a list of
employees right away that would show up on "employees.jsp"  I'm keeping
this simple and will make this call to getEmployees in my
EmployeeBacking bean, but I'm unclear about the best using JSF to fire
this method and forward to the appropriate page when the user simply
goes to foobarApp/index.jsp ?

Thanks for the help

--
Rick