struts-user mailing list archives

From Michael Jouravlev <jmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Render an html button tag
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:44:31 GMT
> I'm curious though... I'm looking at the 4.01 spec now and I don't see
> anyplace that says the non-clicked button shouldn't be submitted... I
> would actually expect it to work like any other form element in that they
> all get submitted regardless (although I do see the logic in your
> expectation).

I don't know about just buttons, but submit buttons are sent only in
quantity of one: the one which was clicked. Also, wnen I tested my
dispatch action, I saw that if no buttons clicked, then browser still
sends one, that was defined first.

> The point about the value being submitted seems more of an issue to me
> though... that being said, what is happening in IE is pretty clear...
> wrapping text with a <button></button> is overriding the value attribute.
> This makes sense in a way... I've never seen text wrapped with a button
> like that, which doesn't make it wrong or anything of course, just new to
> me.  I've only ever seen the value as an attribute.

Never saw it too, tried it, and it did not work on Firefox.

> have a different submitted value than what the button actually
> submits.

There is Dakota's SimpleDispatchAction or mine SelectAction, which
allows to put whatever one likes into value attribute, because they
use name attribute for dispatching.

Michael.

P.S. MSIE also does not send clear name of image button, only as part
of name.x and name.y. Firefox sends all three: name, name.x and name.y