struts-user mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: ajax proj
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 21:38:29 GMT
On 5/2/05, Woodchuck <woodchuck_5@yahoo.com> wrote:

> JSTL is da bomb!  :)

Indeed it is.  If you actually need to create XML in a response to an
XmlHttpRequest call from an Ajax client side gadget :-), here's an
approach using a JSP 2.0 page (in xml syntax) that uses JSTL to
iterate over a result set, and JSP expressions to pull out the data
(copied from the Shale Use Cases example app):

--------------------
<jsp:root             version="2.0"
                      xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"
                    xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page">

  <jsp:directive.page
                  contentType="text/xml;charset=UTF-8"/>

  <categories>
    <c:forEach            var="category"
                        items="${lookup$listCategories.supportedCategories}">
      <category>
        <label>${category.label}</label>
        <value>${category.value}</value>
      </category>
    </c:forEach>
  </categories>

</jsp:root>

The business logic that looks up the label/value pairs for the
response doesn't have a clue how it will actually be rendered, and
setting up a JSP page is much easier to author than building an XML
DOM in Java code.

Craig