struts-user mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of Javascript [was] Re: AJAX: Whoa, Nellie!
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 16:44:33 GMT
On 5/2/05, Sergey Livanov <Sergey.Livanov@ukrpost.net> wrote:

> I liked the smartclient technology very much! It's great!
> Just wondering if there will be a similar possibility in
> Java Server Faces?
> Can I combine the capabilities of JSF and AJAX ?

Yes.

The general idea is that you encapsulate the creation of your
Javascript and template code (or links to corresponding resource
files) into a JavaServer Faces component, which the developer can
incorporate on their page just like any other component.  On the
client side, the rendered code would do XmlHttpRequest transactions
with the host, using whatever your favorite binding technology is
(dojo, dwr, ...).

I know of several commercial libraries that already do this sort of
thing (jsfcentral.com is a good starting place for pointers).

Craig