struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject RE: Struts 1.3, chain & command configuration / few thoughts..
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 11:11:57 GMT
At 12:00 PM +0100 5/4/05, Marco Mistroni wrote:
>Hello joe,
>>So really, all you should need to do is write a custom subclass of
>>ComposableRequestProcessor which gets its base CatalogFactory from
>>Spring during the init method.   Then, you'd have to adapt the
>>default chain-config.xml into Spring's bean-factory XML syntax so as
>>to create a CatalogFactory and register the "struts" catalog all in
>>Spring.
>
>That's true... but spring & appContext are initialized only after
>The spring plugIn has been initialized, and I was wondering, are
>plugIn initialized AFTER ComposableRequestProcessor?
>Because, if it is so, then I am out of business :-)

Ah, yeah.  I've been using the ContextLoaderListener instead.

The other thing you could do in your RequestProcessor is lazily look
up the CatalogFactory.  If you made sure that the instantiation in
Spring was not lazy and was not a singleton then I guess you could
retrieve it from the ApplicationContext on each request with no big
issues.

It's possible that I still didn't quite get the
ComposableRequestProcessor right for that kind of use case -- I'd
have to look -- but I think you can still get there...

Joe

>Regards
>	marco
>

>Joe
>

>At 10:48 AM +0100 5/4/05, Marco Mistroni wrote:
>>Hello all,
>>	I am currently using Struts 1.3dev in my application, and I have
>>recently bothered the list to find a way to configure commands via
>>Spring.
>>Now, just yesterday, I came across an article
>>(http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/03/02/commonchains2.html)
>>on how The new RequestProcessor is used in Struts 1.3...
>>Struts 1.3 uses a chain-config.xml and custom chan configs that allows
>>user
>>To 'override' or change the behaviour of request processor.
>>
>>Following that article I have implemented my custom command for
>>pre-processing in RequestProcessor (as showed in article).
>>
>>Question is: what if I want to use some of my spring beans in one of
>>those
>>'request processor' commands?
>>
>>Currently, in my app, I am using commands for doing various logic, and
>>those
>>Commands are configured via Spring by using a Spring plugin..
>>
>>But I am not sure I can do same with RequestProcessor commands, since
>>the chain-config.xml file is read at initialization time, when I
>suppose
>>the Spring plugin has not been initialized yet... so the bean won't be
>>available..
>>
>>If I remember correct, there's a way in Spring to say that a 'bean'
>will
>>be initialized only after  'beanx' has been initialized (I guess is a
>>'depend' attribute ein applicationContext.xml)..
>>
>>But will this work for RequestProcessor commands?
>>
>>Hope I was clear enough to explain my problem...
>>
>>Thanx in advance and regars
>>	marco

>--
>Joe Germuska
>Joe@Germuska.com
>http://blog.germuska.com
>"Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction"  -The Ex

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com