struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: ajax proj
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 18:53:06 GMT
Hmm... well, if I was doing something like that in real life I might well
do it from the Action :)  That doesn't make it the generally accepted
"right answer' thought.

I think most people would tell you to forward to a JSP to generate what
really amounts to just a snippet of HTML... IIRC, one of my examples does
that.  Keeps the view more properly separated and all that architectural
jazz.

Sometimes I think we all get so wrapped up in trying to achieve the
perfect architecture that we overcomplicate things... if all I'm returning
from the server is the HTML for a bunch of <option> elements, it doesn't
really strike me as a bad idea to do that in an Action (or maybe from a
delegate class that returns a string that the Action then returns).  I'm
not sure the developer community at large would agree with that though,
they seem to be more concerned with perfect architecture, hence that note
in the code :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect