struts-user mailing list archives

From "Sng Wee Jim" <Wee.Jim....@capco.com>
Subject RE: ANOTHER IDE
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 09:38:34 GMT

You may want to try Netbeans 4.1 RC2. Refactoring still not as strong as
Eclipse but most of the stuff you need is out-of-the-box: JSP syntax
support, tomcat, iplanet app server etc, so there is less plug-in to
download.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy [mailto:ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 3:04 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: ANOTHER IDE

On 04/05/05 18:25 Dave Newton wrote:
> Except for the crappy editor in Eclipse (a programmer's editor without

> macros?!?!?!) it seems to do a pretty good job with the addition of
> MyEclipse (~$30/yearly) although I've seen a few minor complaints and
> bugs. Has the same (or similar, perhaps slightly less functional?)
> features: XML editing and tag completion for XML and JSP, code
> completion inside JSP, Pretty Good refactoring support.

I used to code with emacs, without code completion or debugging or
whatever, and I managed fine - now I code in Eclipse and I have all the
whizz bang plug-ins like maven and cvs and xmlspy and I've got the
Problems List which highlights the code causing errors, plus I can
refactor, BUT.... I waste so much time, hours and hours when it goes
wrong.

Sometimes it will never stop and I am doomed to have these time-wasting
issues with Eclipse plug-ins not working together, or just not
installing, or Java 5 bugs or whatever. Progress I guess.

I'd like to know whether these kinds of issues affect IDEA users. When
was the last time you spent a whole morning trying to get tomcat to run
inside Eclipse, or an hour a day for a week fighting to get Maven menus
to appear?

This must be the bleeding edge, right?

Adam

PS what does myeclipse do?

--
struts 1.2 + tomcat 5.0.19 + java 1.5.0
Linux 2.4.20 Debian

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not
an intended recipient, please notify the sender of this email
immediately. You should not copy, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.
the views of Capco.

http://www.capco.com/