struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Struts 1.3 & custom controller
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 13:40:21 GMT
Hi Marco,

You are correct, the custom controller is at the heart of strutsws.

I hesitate to answer about 1.3 because I've only looked at it very
briefly.  But, I'll try and answer and if someone more knowledgable sees
me flub something, please correct me...

Remember that 1.3 uses the CoR pattern to break down the request processor
into a chain of functions.  It is designed to be functionally equivalent
to the "current" request processor, but defined as a chain of Commands.

I seem to recall a thread at one point that said you still could in fact
use a custom monolithic processor... if that's not true than the bottom
line is simply that no, strutsws as it exists today will not be usable
with 1.3.

Let's assume however that I am remembering correctly and you CAN do
that... you'd still be inserting the 1.1 RP into the mix, which I'd bet
isn't what you really want to do.  It is also worth noting that I never
did a strutsws version for the Tiles processor, so Tiles and strutsws
don't mix at this point.  This hasn't been a big problem for most people
apparently (I guess they just set up a separate module for the web
services, I don't really know)...

...which does kind of raise an interesting question... assuming you can
use a non-chain RP in 1.3, it might be possible to just use the 1.1 RP in
a module for your web services.  If it's a module expressly for strutsws
functions, which RP you use might not matter as much (I could be wrong
though... there could have been some changes between 1.1 and 1.3 that
makes it not work, I frankly don't know).  I've never tied such a setup,
so I have no idea if it'll actually work.

Lastly, I do have the intention of updating strutsws specifically for 1.3
(it should be a piece of cake to insert a command or two into the chain to
perform the necessary functions), but I won't do that until 1.3 is a GA
release.  I actualy thought I wrote it against 1.2.4, I didn't realize it
was 1.1, so the first chance I get I will update it for 1.2.4 at least...
I only intend to support GA releases for strutsws as well as ajaxtags by
the way.

Hope that helps!

--
Frank W. Zammetti