struts-user mailing list archives

From "Barnett, Brian W." <brian.barn...@pearson.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Survey - Tell me what you think about Struts.
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 15:07:09 GMT
I addressed the "stuffing up of any useful CVS functionality" by using
Jalopy source code formatter. http://jalopy.sourceforge.net. The key is for
someone to specify the source code formatting rules, usually the defaults
are close enough for most. Jalopy provides "export" functionality, so all
you have to do is export the settings and distribute the export file to all
of your developers. Run Jalopy on the files before you commit them to CVS
and your problem is resolved.

Brian Barnett

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy [mailto:ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 2:28 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [OT] Survey - Tell me what you think about Struts.

On 01/05/05 13:13&nbsp;Simon Chappell wrote:
>>What is it that bugs you the most about development with Struts?
>
> Trying to work with the struts-config.xml without a dedicated editor.
> I have a small, three actions, project that I'm tinkering with and I
> figured that it was small enough that I didn't need to worry and I
> could just edit struts-config.xml using a text editor. Ouch.

Dedicated editors are a bane for me. The fact that they automatically
format the whole file according to their xml whitespace, indenting and
new line rules means that every line can change when a 2nd developer
edits the file, which really stuffs up any useful CVS functionality.

My biggest issue with struts is the large number of obtuse servlet
exceptions or plain empty pages that newbies can cause by doing
something wrong.

Linked to that is the large amount of definitions in xml where the
correctness is uncheckable until runtime. One silly typo and I have to
compile, deploy, restart and navigate into the app to check it works.
Perhaps there's some junit testing I should be doing to check it all in
one click, but I haven't worked it out yet.

Adam