struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <new...@pingsite.com>
Subject Re: ANOTHER IDE
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 16:23:28 GMT
Adam Hardy wrote:

> On 04/05/05 18:25 Dave Newton wrote:
>
>> Except for the crappy editor in Eclipse (a programmer's editor
>> without macros?!?!?!) it seems to do a pretty good job with the
>> addition of MyEclipse (~$30/yearly) although I've seen a few minor
>> complaints and bugs. Has the same (or similar, perhaps slightly less
>> functional?) features: XML editing and tag completion for XML and
>> JSP, code completion inside JSP, Pretty Good refactoring support.
>

> I used to code with emacs, without code completion or debugging or
> whatever, and I managed fine - now I code in Eclipse and I have all
> the whizz bang plug-ins like maven and cvs and xmlspy and I've got the
> Problems List which highlights the code causing errors, plus I can
> refactor, BUT.... I waste so much time, hours and hours when it goes
> wrong.

I think/thought the XRefactor emacs package did code completion--no
debugging support that I'm aware of, but the refactoring/completion
stuff was satisfactory for me, and the price was low. Emacs is still king :)

> I'd like to know whether these kinds of issues affect IDEA users. When
> was the last time you spent a whole morning trying to get tomcat to
> run inside Eclipse, or an hour a day for a week fighting to get Maven
> menus to appear?

You must just be lucky--I haven't had any major Eclipse problems once
getting away from the 2.x series, although it is kinda draggy sometimes.

> PS what does myeclipse do?

JSP/XML editing/completiong, Struts, etc. support. Cheap and mostly works.

Dave