struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: ANOTHER IDE
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 20:00:14 GMT
Agreed... I've played with virtually every IDE out there, any it's
always felt like while they have a couple of nicities (and sometimes a
VERY nice nicity!) they always seem to get in the way for me more than
they help in the long run.  The only exception is a debugger, which
genuinely is helpful sometimes, although even that I manage just fine
without (but I have no doubt it is useful).

What I always tell my guys at work is that they can use whatever tools
they want, so long as (a) it allows them to work most efficiently and
(b) they can share work (i.e., no tools that force you into some
proprietary project structure).  As long as you can run an ANT script to
build the project, I don't really care what IDE or other tools you use
to get there.  I'm a minimalist, it works best for me, but it doesn't
for everyone (in fact, I'm in the minority and I know it!)

Frank

Dave Newton wrote:
> Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>
>> Macros are an absolute must for me, and it's art of the reason I still
>> use nothing but UltraEdit... all the fancy code refactoring tools and
>> such that all the IDEs have I wind up doing in macros, and I have more
>> control over how they work, at least, it sure feels like I do.
>

> Well, you certainly have more control, but I don't think I'd want to
> write a macro that extracted code chunks into methods with
> automagically-correct parameter signatures, return types, etc. or
> pulling methods up or down, changing method signatures and propagating
> it through my code, etc.
>
> Having context-sensitive code completion/auto-complete is nice too,
> especially for verbose languages like Java etc.
>
> Dave

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies