struts-user mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <erikwe...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Recommendation of Instant Messagging System
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 16:39:26 GMT
I just finished putting together a system with a Swing client and
combined services over XMPP and HTTP.

I think Leon's suggestion of doing your own is not bad, if you are good
with Sockets, ServerSockets, XML APIs and Threads (find a good tutorial
on building a chat system such as in the ubiquitous "Thinking in Java").
There is also JMS which gives you a low-level core. If you want
something higher level, just get Smack from jivesoftware.com, which will
give you an OO interface to Jabber (XMPP). Then get jabberd from
jabber.org. jabberd 1.4  is small, written in C and gets the job done
for what you are talking about, so I would start with that. They are
working on the 2.0 "enterprise" version.

I will warn you that while Smack is a great library (you'll get classes
such as "Chat", "Packet", "Message", "Presence", etc.), there are some
pitfalls related to Threading to watch out for. I rewrote about a half
dozen of the core classes. Fortunately, Smack operates with just two
main disptach Threads so once you spend some time with the PacketReader
and XMPPConnection classes, you'll figure it out. Apache license, too.

Erik