struts-user mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <erikwe...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: Hosting cost: Java/Struts apps -versus- PHP apps...help!
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 16:26:56 GMT
Sorry no URLs, but I have been seeing prices dipping into the $10 range,
which is even with PHP (the cheapest PHP I ever saw was $4 but typical
is $8.99 I think). And I have found that Tomcat/MySQL or
Tomcat/PostgreSQL is everywhere, plus you'll usually get an Apache Web
Server too. But be aware of what you are getting (you probably won't get
a private VM for $10, but that doesn't mean it won't work, and you want
shell access, not just an ftp account). Make sure you don't have to sign
up for anything long term until you've deployed and tested your app for
a while. Let the Web server serve all your static content. Watch out for
lag between the Servlet box and the database box.

What do I tell my customers? Java hosting is already nearly competitive
and is getting cheaper all the time.

Oh I do know of one cheap Java host -- lunarpages.

If this thread stays alive, more will be posted I'll bet.

Erik