struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <new...@pingsite.com>
Subject Re: Struts with PHP
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 16:54:18 GMT
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

>Yeah, you raise a fair point, maybe I didn't think it through enough...
>I'm not sure how much session really matters, but I think request does...
>I mean, I have an HttpServletRequest object that I populate in an Action,
>and let's assume I can forward that to a PHP page, it's still a Java
>object.
>
>Yeah, I'm starting to scream "D'oh!" in my head right now...

I don't think it's as bad as all that, unfortunately.

Obviously the parameters/attributes/etc. in the session and request
could be marshalled into an object/xml/blob that PHP could understand;
there are some useful utilities in the sandbox made just for that purpose ;)

Session tracking is trivial, just use the session ID from the java side
and keep a hash on the PHP side that uses the same ID (I do something
similar with Lisp using Lisplets).

The easiest way, of course, would be to write jPHP and have phpServlet
and phpTags so you could have both PHP-only presentation but still allow
mixing of PHP code via phpScriptlets in your existing
JSP/Velocity/FreeMarker pages.

Dave