struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Survey - Tell me what you think about Struts.
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 20:28:05 GMT
On 01/05/05 13:13&nbsp;Simon Chappell wrote:
>>What is it that bugs you the most about development with Struts?
>
> Trying to work with the struts-config.xml without a dedicated editor.
> I have a small, three actions, project that I'm tinkering with and I
> figured that it was small enough that I didn't need to worry and I
> could just edit struts-config.xml using a text editor. Ouch.

Dedicated editors are a bane for me. The fact that they automatically
format the whole file according to their xml whitespace, indenting and
new line rules means that every line can change when a 2nd developer
edits the file, which really stuffs up any useful CVS functionality.

My biggest issue with struts is the large number of obtuse servlet
exceptions or plain empty pages that newbies can cause by doing
something wrong.

Linked to that is the large amount of definitions in xml where the
correctness is uncheckable until runtime. One silly typo and I have to
compile, deploy, restart and navigate into the app to check it works.
Perhaps there's some junit testing I should be doing to check it all in
one click, but I haven't worked it out yet.

Adam