struts-user mailing list archives

From "Benedict, Paul C" <paul_bened...@merck.com>
Subject RE: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:45:42 GMT
Dave,

Unless I am wrong (I may be!), I think the implicit point is not to use
Struts for future projects. Since JSF provides backing beans, validation,
heavy user interface controls (all Struts equivalents), I can see why
someone would promote JSF over Struts.....

But why? If the only reason is "it is better because it is a Sun standard",
I don't buy into it. I am not saying that is the only reason, but webapps
are webapps and I don't think a Swing-like user interface all that really
matters -- even with AJAX support -- unless your goal is to build Swing-like
user interfaces. And since I can turn JavaScript off in Mozilla, I think
most custom JSF components would become non-functional if I did. (I like to
not use JavaScript where possible.)

Anyway, how come no one is saying that the future is Struts 1.3 or 1.4? Why
all the hoopla about the future IS JSF?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Newton [mailto:newton@pingsite.com]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 2:31 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?

Erik Weber wrote:

> I agree. I thought, Craig, that you until recently were interested in
> Struts and JSF coexisting, meaning that both would grow, even if you
> were no longer the active leader of Struts.

I don't think anybody said anything about not using Struts; we were
discussing the Struts tags, HTML in particular.

Why is everybody opposed to JSF? I don't know a whole lot about it and
am at a point where I need to think about future development needs.

Dave

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck
& Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates
(which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.
 If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.