struts-user mailing list archives

From "Benedict, Paul C" <paul_bened...@merck.com>
Subject RE: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:53:54 GMT
Craig,

Thank you for the response and advice. I will take this into consideration,
but I have a difficult time accepting that the future is JSF. Despite it's
acceptance as a standard, I don't feel any compelling reason to ever use JSF
over Struts unless JSF becomes a huge marketing success.

What should a Struts developer make out of JSF?

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 1:50 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?

On Apr 1, 2005 8:23 AM, Benedict, Paul C <paul_benedict@merck.com> wrote:

> So is Craig's advice to abandon Struts tags even in a Struts app? Write
out
> HTML elements yourself and get the values with expressions?

No.  My advice is to plan on using JSF components for the UI part.
That can be an orthogonal choice from what you use as your MVC
controller framework (Struts, Shale, ...).

Also, that advice was stated as being for *new* projects.  If you're
using the HTML tags now, there's nothing wrong with continuing to use
them until you're ready to migrate that app to JSF components instead.

Craig

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck
& Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates
(which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.
 If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.