struts-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Uploading: And a Wish List for Struts v1.3 and v2.0 Jericho
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:16:20 GMT
I wish I had never said "wish list".  I was talking about a KIND OF
INTERFACE needed in Struts and the example application is just to show
what KIND OF INTERFACE might be helpful.  DId no one get that?  I try
to save space by not spelling out what seems to be obvious and I get
these answers from left field.

What this upload application needs to utilize ActionForm is something
other applications that are not multipart request oriented also need.
Can we abstract a little here?

This is not a wish list for the upload.  I SAID THAT THE UPLOAD WAS
BUILT, RUNNING, ETC.  The wish list is that Struts could ACCOMMODATE
this sort of structure in applications generally.  Sheezsch, I must be
horrible at communicating and you guys must be horrible at reading.
How can the upload application be the wish list when it is built and
in production?

Sorry, Frank!  You ususally read everything very closely and I usually
have this same frustration with others.

Jack

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:59:56 -0500, Frank W. Zammetti
<fzlists@omnytex.com> wrote:
> You know what might actually make a wish list more interesting (at least
> to me)?  What if we had a site we could go to and see a list of all the
> pie-in-the-sky kinds of things people wanted, and I as someone who might
> want to contribute could say "gee, X over here sounds very interesting
> to me, I'd like to do that" and I could kind of "assign" it to myself?
>
> This might sound a little bit like Bugzilla or SourceForge, but I think
> it would serve a different purpose and have some different features...
>
> For instance, what it one of the things it did was every week or two
> sent out an eMail to the person who said they were working on something
> and requested an update?  If no response was recieved in 48 hours lets
> say, then the person loses their "assignment".  That doesn't mean they
> can't still work on it, just that as far as the community knows, no one
> is actively working on that project.
>
> Such a site would serve as something of a central clearing house for the
> various wish list items people have.  A person could go there and see
> what people want, what is being worked on, what the current status is,
> etc.  This would minimize duplication of effort, and would also help two
> people interested in the same thing get together and help each other.
>
> I don't propose that this would be anything officially sanctioned,
> certainly not initially, nor would it be anything other than kind of a
> meeting place and status database (i.e., I'm not talking about storing
> code or posting releases like SF or anything).
>
> It just seems to me that we all have our own wish lists, and some of us
> are willing to put in some effort to implement some of the ideas.
> Wouldn't we all help ourselves and each other by introducing some minor
> level of organization to such efforts?  We certainly can't all know what
> each other is doing all the time, so isn't anything that facilitates
> communication a Good Thing(tm)?
>
> I would be more than willing to put such a site together, and I'd even
> be willing to host it (assuming it didn't prove to be a financial
> burden).  But I'd like to know if I'm the only one that thinks it might
> be a good idea or not first. :)
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> Ted Husted wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:56:02 -0800, Dakota Jack wrote:
> >
> >> Hope this is helpful.  If not, please understand it was meant to be
> >> helpful.
> >

> > Wish lists like this are mildly interesting, but what's helpful is when people give
back to the community by creating new extensions.

> > A Struts Upload extension would probably be interesting to a lot of people. But
someone who uses one must be the one to create it. Just like when Steve created ssl-ext, and
Hubert created FormDef, and Frank created WS,  and Don created Scripting, and once upon a
time, when David created Validator and Cedric created Tiles.

> > All of us are writing applications. The difference is that a few kind souls package
their stuff to share with others.

> > -Ted.

> > .

~Dakota Jack~