struts-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Uploading: And a Wish List for Struts v1.3 and v2.0 Jericho
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:11:46 GMT
The wiki list is for trying to convince the struts developers to take
Struts 1.3 chain to a place that alternative upload applications can
be submitted?  I think this is an irrelevant response to a substantial
question.

Jacki

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:14:28 -0800, Craig McClanahan <craigmcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> people start writing code instead of writing words.  If you want to
> see some feature constructed, make it so, by doing it!  (Among other
> reasons, this is why you see me focusing more on code than on the
> mailing lists, for example.)
>
> If nobody ever does this, wishes will just remain wishes.
>
> Craig
>
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:59:56 -0500, Frank W. Zammetti
> <fzlists@omnytex.com> wrote:
> > You know what might actually make a wish list more interesting (at least
> > to me)?  What if we had a site we could go to and see a list of all the
> > pie-in-the-sky kinds of things people wanted, and I as someone who might
> > want to contribute could say "gee, X over here sounds very interesting
> > to me, I'd like to do that" and I could kind of "assign" it to myself?
> >
> > This might sound a little bit like Bugzilla or SourceForge, but I think
> > it would serve a different purpose and have some different features...
> >
> > For instance, what it one of the things it did was every week or two
> > sent out an eMail to the person who said they were working on something
> > and requested an update?  If no response was recieved in 48 hours lets
> > say, then the person loses their "assignment".  That doesn't mean they
> > can't still work on it, just that as far as the community knows, no one
> > is actively working on that project.
> >
> > Such a site would serve as something of a central clearing house for the
> > various wish list items people have.  A person could go there and see
> > what people want, what is being worked on, what the current status is,
> > etc.  This would minimize duplication of effort, and would also help two
> > people interested in the same thing get together and help each other.
> >
> > I don't propose that this would be anything officially sanctioned,
> > certainly not initially, nor would it be anything other than kind of a
> > meeting place and status database (i.e., I'm not talking about storing
> > code or posting releases like SF or anything).
> >
> > It just seems to me that we all have our own wish lists, and some of us
> > are willing to put in some effort to implement some of the ideas.
> > Wouldn't we all help ourselves and each other by introducing some minor
> > level of organization to such efforts?  We certainly can't all know what
> > each other is doing all the time, so isn't anything that facilitates
> > communication a Good Thing(tm)?
> >
> > I would be more than willing to put such a site together, and I'd even
> > be willing to host it (assuming it didn't prove to be a financial
> > burden).  But I'd like to know if I'm the only one that thinks it might
> > be a good idea or not first. :)
> >
> > --
> > Frank W. Zammetti
> > Founder and Chief Software Architect
> > Omnytex Technologies
> > http://www.omnytex.com
> >
> > Ted Husted wrote:

> > > Wish lists like this are mildly interesting, but what's helpful is when people
give back to the community by creating new extensions.

> > > A Struts Upload extension would probably be interesting to a lot of people.
But someone who uses one must be the one to create it. Just like when Steve created ssl-ext,
and Hubert created FormDef, and Frank created WS,  and Don created Scripting, and once upon
a time, when David created Validator and Cedric created Tiles.

> > > All of us are writing applications. The difference is that a few kind souls
package their stuff to share with others.

> > > -Ted.

> > > .

~Dakota Jack~