struts-user mailing list archives

From <mohan.radhakrish...@accenture.com>
Subject RE: request Processor in struts-2.
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:00:16 GMT
Hi,
    It is not clear to me why CoR would be so special in the new Struts
architecture. After reading the proposal it seems that the 3 types of
controllers seem to be more interesting.

    Was CoR chosen to leverage Commons Chain ? Why does a Web
application need the flexibility of CoR ? I know that Swing uses it
because the UI hierarchy is not simple.

    Can't we just use Commons Chain with Struts with the same effect ?
Do we have to design Struts itself based on CoR ?

    At this point I haven't looked at any code. I am just trying to
understand this particular design
decision. I remember that Action chaining was discouraged.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Pemberton [mailto:niall.pemberton@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 3:15 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: request Processor in struts-2.

In Struts 1.2 you can configure different RequestProcessors for
different modules, but you can' t have different RequestProcessors for
the same module. Struts 1.3 (under development) is based on the Chain of
Responsibilty (CoR) pattern (using  Jakarta Commons Chain) - that
introduces alot more flexibility in how you can configure "request
processing". Sounds like it might be worth you downloading the "nightly"
build and having a look at that.

Niall