struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Uploading: And a Wish List for Struts v1.3 and v2.0 Jericho
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:59:56 GMT
You know what might actually make a wish list more interesting (at least
to me)?  What if we had a site we could go to and see a list of all the
pie-in-the-sky kinds of things people wanted, and I as someone who might
want to contribute could say "gee, X over here sounds very interesting
to me, I'd like to do that" and I could kind of "assign" it to myself?

This might sound a little bit like Bugzilla or SourceForge, but I think
it would serve a different purpose and have some different features...

For instance, what it one of the things it did was every week or two
sent out an eMail to the person who said they were working on something
and requested an update?  If no response was recieved in 48 hours lets
say, then the person loses their "assignment".  That doesn't mean they
can't still work on it, just that as far as the community knows, no one
is actively working on that project.

Such a site would serve as something of a central clearing house for the
various wish list items people have.  A person could go there and see
what people want, what is being worked on, what the current status is,
etc.  This would minimize duplication of effort, and would also help two
people interested in the same thing get together and help each other.

I don't propose that this would be anything officially sanctioned,
certainly not initially, nor would it be anything other than kind of a
meeting place and status database (i.e., I'm not talking about storing
code or posting releases like SF or anything).

It just seems to me that we all have our own wish lists, and some of us
are willing to put in some effort to implement some of the ideas.
Wouldn't we all help ourselves and each other by introducing some minor
level of organization to such efforts?  We certainly can't all know what
each other is doing all the time, so isn't anything that facilitates
communication a Good Thing(tm)?

I would be more than willing to put such a site together, and I'd even
be willing to host it (assuming it didn't prove to be a financial
burden).  But I'd like to know if I'm the only one that thinks it might
be a good idea or not first. :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Ted Husted wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:56:02 -0800, Dakota Jack wrote:
>
>> Hope this is helpful.  If not, please understand it was meant to be
>> helpful.
>

> Wish lists like this are mildly interesting, but what's helpful is when people give back
to the community by creating new extensions.

> A Struts Upload extension would probably be interesting to a lot of people. But someone
who uses one must be the one to create it. Just like when Steve created ssl-ext, and Hubert
created FormDef, and Frank created WS,  and Don created Scripting, and once upon a time, when
David created Validator and Cedric created Tiles.