struts-user mailing list archives

From lis...@gmx.net
Subject Re: general Thread disscussion
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:23:28 GMT

>To be honest, I've only heard this in the past few days.  I didn't know that, generically,
writing files was "forbidden" by J2EE.  I knew it was something you generally want to avoid
from a webapp for other reasons, but it's news to me too :)  So no, I don't have any reference
I can point you to.  I'd be interested in such a reference myself!

[...]
Ok i will inform you, when i found a reference.
[...]

>Just want to be sure I follow... Do you mean a case where you have a class along these
lines:

>public class myData {
>  public static HashMap data = new HashMap();
>}
>
>... and you might be reading and/or writing from this during the course of processing
a reqeust AS WELL AS from a background thread?  If that's the question, the answer is you
need to be very careful.  You can synchronize all access to the HashMap, but then you are
introducing a bottleneck into the system at best, and a potential deadlock or any one of the
other multitude of thread contention issues that confuse the hell out of most of us when they
crop up!

>If your static information is read-only, you have no issue of course.  I do this in that
application I was talking about... I have a class almost identical to what you see above except
that the HashMap is private and I have a getter/setter pair.  It's never altered during the
run of the application though, after startup anyway, so no problem.  If it could be altered
though, that would change matters.

[...]
Thats excectly what i want. An altered ressource during the run. So i
have to find another solution for this case.