struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: caching of message resources when using bean:message tag
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:07:31 GMT
Yes, I have also written a database implementation or three ;)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=49385&package_id=76369

In addition to this one, I have also written several impls for
commons-resources (which Struts will be moving to very soon).  There were
license issues so I had to host them elsewhere (same link above) but I
haven't released these as of yet.  That's on my todo list ;)

The workaround for Struts 1.1 and 1.2.x is to clear the hashmap of formatted
messages.  Look at org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources#getMessage(Locale
locale, String key, Object args[]).

In that method you'll see where if the formatted message (param replacement
already done) is found, then that is returned.  That certainly is a nice way
to speed up things, but the impl fails to make that configurable, so you are
just stuck with it :(

My impl simply does formats.clear() on each call to getMessage(), so, in
effect, unless the very next call to your getMessage() is asking for the
last one you just gave it, the cache is (basically) disabled.

You also might consider implementing your own cache or taking advantage of
caching available via O/R Mapping tools like Hibernate.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.