struts-user mailing list archives

From Brandon Mercer <bran...@eutonian.com>
Subject Accessing Database Information
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:02:15 GMT
Hello,
I've got Ted Husted's book Struts in Action and I really like it.  I've
also got another book Professional Jakarta Struts.  They both talk about
accessing information from a database and DAO and DTO and all that jazz
and quite frankly I don't understand it.  :-P  Right now I'm in the
middle of this rather sophisticated application and I'm starting to
wonder if I could be doing things a lot more easily.  For instance, when
I retrieve information from a Database I do something like this in my
action:

ArrayList results = BillpayData.getAssets(
                         account, getDataSource(request, "transactions"));

And I have the BillpayData class to handle getting the information from
the DB and set it into a bean like:

public class BillpayData {

    public static ArrayList getAssets(
    final String account,
        final DataSource dataSource)
        throws Exception {

        Connection conn = null;
        Statement stmt = null;
        ResultSet rs = null;
        BillpayForm atnlist = null;
    ArrayList result = new ArrayList();

        try {
            conn = dataSource.getConnection();
            stmt = conn.createStatement();
            rs = stmt.executeQuery(
        "select * from assets where account=\"" + account + "\"");

            // While there are results from our query
        // create the codes bean with the proper
        // values from the database.
            while (rs.next()) {
        atnlist = new BillpayForm();

                atnlist.setAtn(rs.getString("atn"));
        atnlist.setDescription(rs.getString("description"));

        result.add(atnlist);
        }

    } finally {
            if (rs != null) {
                rs.close();
            }
            if (stmt != null) {
                stmt.close();
            }
            if (conn != null) {
                conn.close();
            }

        }
    return result;
    }
}
  BUT... I see all these handy examples about setting that stuff in a
bean using beanutils and it makes me think I'm doign way too much work!
Does anyone have an explination of what Data Access Object structure I
should be using (or is the way I'm doing things ok)?  And does anyone
have any simple applications that show a good way to use those beanutils
(as I'm not very good with java just yet).  Thanks for your help.
Brandon