struts-user mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <erikwe...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: URGENT : CMS Driven static site and Struts
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:49:11 GMT

Jim Barrows wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:24:01 -0800 (PST), nitin dubey
><nitz_tech@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Is it worth using Struts for a static site that is CMS
>>Driven ? I can think of two options:
>>

>Yes.
>

>>1. Fetching the data from database into Action forms
>>and then building the page using Struts HTML taglibs.
>>:Can be done, but I doubt that Struts HTML is powerful
>>enough to handle minute details of the HTML page
>>eg:tool tips, sections, javascripts

You can do those things with or without Struts.

>You don't have to use the struts taglibs if you don't want to.  It
>makes a lot of things easier.  You certtainly don't use the Struts
>taglibs without a lot of supporting html.
>

>>2. Give away Struts and go for simple JSP-Bean based
>>architecture. JSP, Bean:Presentation[Controller will
>>be driven from database], Business classes to interact
>>with database:Modal, Database:MYSQL
>>

>Nah.... if you think thats viable you don't have a lot of experience
>with Struts or JSP/Servlet development.

I respectfully disagree with this (unless you guys are talking about
some other specific product or framework that I'm not recognizing) so I
thought you should hear another opinion. I use Struts and like it, and
would even go so far as to say it's the first thing I would consider in
many situations, but I wouldn't tell you that you can't build a good Web
app without it (or any other framework for that matter). I have built
some nice Web applications that didn't use any controller framework
(other than my own) or even any tags or any JavaScript for that matter.

Erik