struts-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSF and non-struts controllerServlets
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:59:32 GMT
Hello,

I think that you have to choose between a JSF controller and a
controller in the sense you are discussing it.  If I am not mistaken,
the use of Struts together with JSF, for example, requires that when a
request is presented to the web application it choose at the outset
between Struts and JSF.  As a consequence, if this is right, what you
have in mind won't really work.  I think that you cannot use the JSF
stuff without using the JSF page based controller.  (This is not to
say that you cannot use traditional model 2 controllers in an
environment where JSF is used.  This is just to say that you have to
choose JSF or model 2 when the request arrives and you cannot go to
the model 2 controller then to JSF or vice versa, if I understand.)
If that is wrong, someone should correct this misconception.

Jack

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:46:23 -0500, Seetamraju, Uday
<uday_seetamraju@standardandpoors.com> wrote:
> (If JSF can work with Struts controller, then someone here can give me tips).
>
> I am asked to upgrade an application that is based on the circa-2001 Model 2 JSP/controllerservlet
architecture.
> Given the amount of JSP work, I am strongly proposing (here in my company) to switch
to JSF.
> I have a spent only a little time with the "Core JSF" book.
>
> I didn't find anything that helped me with my most important questions.
>
> If I used the JSF tags in my JSPs, and included the JSP taglibs and JARs, I strongly
feel the JSP will paint well. But when a button is clicked, the above mentioned Model-2 based
ControllerServlet will pick up the HTTP-PUT/request. From there on, its the old world again,
until its time to set the HTTPRequest and HTTPSession for painting the next JSP (I want this
to use JSF too).

> (1) In order to use #{bean.property}
>
> in the JSP, can I have the old word Handler code do as :- ?
>
> request.setAttribute("bean", beanref);
>
> (2) Since I won't be able to use the JSF's XML configuration, I would like to confirm
that, the application can use its own 'nextpage' framework as is, with JSF-based JSPs.

> Do you know of anything big that I am missing?
> I have ben leaning too far from the current implementation here, without solid foundation/understanding
of how JSF can be paired with any controller (I have heard about this many many times now).
> So, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks a million.

> The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may
be a confidential attorney-client communication or may otherwise be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying
to the message and deleting it from your computer.

> Thank you,
>
> Standard & Poor's

~Native Proverb~