struts-user mailing list archives

From Diego Manilla Suárez <diego.mani...@xeridia.com>
Subject Problems initializing form objects
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:39:42 GMT
Hi! I have a problem with form members initialization.

I have this form.

public class BasicContentForm extends ValidatorForm {

    protected java.util.List propertyValues;

    public BasicContentForm() {
        this.propertyValues = new java.util.ArrayList();
    }

    public void setPropertyValues( java.util.List propertyValues ) {
        this.propertyValues = propertyValues;
    }

    public java.util.List getPropertyValues() {
        return this.propertyValues;
    }

    public Object getPropertyValue(int index) {
        return propertyValues.get(index);
    }

    public void reset(ActionMapping mapping, HttpServletRequest request) {
        this.propertyValues = new java.util.ArrayList();
    }
}

And this jsp:

<logic:iterate name="basicContentForm" property="propertyValues"
id="propertyValue">
</logic:iterate>

The problem is that the number and type of the elements of
propertyValues list is calculated dynamically (from the database). I was
doing that on my Action class, but I've realized that this doesn't work:
when I submit the form, I get an Exception at BeanUtils.populate,
because the list is not properly initialized. If I can't initialize it
on the reset() method (I need to access the database), what else can I do?

Thanks in advance