struts-user mailing list archives

From Colin Kilburn <col...@accesstec.ca>
Subject Re: Where to store and how to retrieve Images for web app
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:59:23 GMT
John,

I typically store the images in a web-accessible directory.   I have
done this in several different webapps (in several languages for that
matter).  I typically have a table that holds any data about the image,
most importantly, how to contruct a url for an image tag so I can
display it on a page.   My scheme is generally to store the image with a
file name of <record id>.<ext>.    My table generally looks something like:

images (id, alt_text, type/file extension [, image dimensions])

This generally contains all I need to be able to display, create, update
or delete the image.

The only advantage I see to storing them in a BLOB is the database
backup benefit that Mark mentioned.   In my case this has not outweighed
the simplicity of letting a web server serve images from the filesystem,
which it does very well.

Hope this helps,
Colin