struts-user mailing list archives

From Brady Hegberg <bra...@bitstream.net>
Subject RE: Where to store and how to retrieve Images for web app
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:40:07 GMT
We've tried a couple different approaches.  One of them involves a
pass-through servlet that grabs the image from the filesystem and sends
it to the browser on request.  It works well, in some cases.  However it
seems to cause some problems with caching - reloading the page is slow
and causes the graphics to flicker.  I wonder if people have run into
the same problems with storing pictures in mySQL.

Another possibility that I've considered is to have a directory of
images on the filesystem and copy them into your app at deploy time.  As
images are uploaded they would be saved to the filesystem and then
copied to the app.

Does anyone know if there are advantages in particular app-servers to
keeping your graphics on the filesystem versus in the database?

Brady

Brady Hegberg <bradyh@bitstream.net>