struts-user mailing list archives

From "Eddie Bush" <eab...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Automatic logging
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:33:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kinjal Sonpal" <sharewithkinjal@gamebox.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 1:03 AM
Subject: RE: Automatic logging

>> On the other hand, I don't find it all that burdensome to
>> establish a
>> static log instance for each class and toss around a few
>> log.debug(...) lines, especially when I'm working on figuring out
>> someone elses ill-documented code!
>
> Hmm.. It appears to me that there are no frequently used or
> established patterns for my requirements. May be I should also divert
> my efforts into the same directions as mentioned by you. Can you or
> someone suggest something for my requirements? My experience with
> struts is relatively intermediate and we do not have any Tech.
> consultants or Architects for my project.

Yeah ... each catch block put in something that tells you that you had an
exception, gives you the state of things that may have caused the exception,
and prints a stack trace :-)  It's nice to include context information about
where the logging is coming from.  Using something like commons-logging +
log4j -- or just log4j, if you don't care about ever changing -- works well
for this.

You're welcome and good luck ;-)

Eddie Bush

> Thanks and Regards,
> Kinjal Sonpal
> "In the real world, the right thing never happens in the right place
> at the right time. It is the task of journalists and historians to
> rectify this error."
> --Mark Twain

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0449-0, 11/30/2004
Tested on: 12/1/2004 5:33:42 AM