struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nadia Kunkov" <nad...@parkerglobal.com>
Subject RE: Validate some forms and not the others. How?
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:30:40 GMT
Thank you.  I think that will work for me.  I have one mapping and I'll just call validate
from the action.
Thanks again
NK

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Pemberton [mailto:niall.pemberton@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 12:33 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Validate some forms and not the others. How?

Firstly, if you have separate "mappings" in your struts-config.xml (which
use the same DispatchAction) why can't you set validate to "true" for some
and "false" for others?

Having said that, if you have just one mapping, you could set the
validate="false" in the struts-config.xml and call the form validation, as
required, in your Action's methods...say you wanted validation in an "edit"
method...

public ActionForward edit(
               ActionMapping mapping,
               ActionForm form,
               HttpServletRequest request,
               HttpServletResponse response)
                       throws Exception {

    ActionMessages errors = form.validate(mapping, request);
    if (errors != null && errors.size() >0) {
        return mapping.getInputForward();
    }

    // do the rest of my stuff here

}

I guess the other alternative would be to put some logic in the ActionForm's
validate method - but that would be kind of duplicating the decision logic
in the DispatchAction

Niall