struts-user mailing list archives

From Matt Bathje <...@ntsource.com>
Subject [OT] Re: An Eclipse Like WebApp Framework? -- a proposal
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:19:17 GMT
Michael -

I would have to say...get working. It is pretty obvious from this and
the dev list that you are very unhappy with struts and its developers.
While struts does some of what you want, it is very lacking for you. I
think it is also obvious that your view of what struts should be does
not coincide with most of the struts developers or users, and would most
likely not become Struts v3.0.

Just submitting a proposal of this nature will go nowhere, (If my
knowledge of open source history is any good...) so don't just submit a
proposal. Sit down and work on an implementation of what you propose.
Put it up on sourceforge. Advertise it here (with an appropriate OT
label of course). If it is any good people WILL start using it, and WILL
start helping out with it. If it is good enough, it could make struts
obsolete as people start using your framework instead, which nobody
(including the struts committers...) would have a problem with. If it is
not any good they won't, but you will have a start on what you are
looking for at least.

Your initial crack at the project may not even have to be any good, look
at Linux 0.1. Without some sort of code to go on though, nobody will
probably ever take this up...this is a proposal that scratches YOUR
specific itch, so you have to be the impetus behind it.

If you just submit the proposal, or if you try to build a team or get a
committee together to discuss it or whatever this will go nowhere. Open
source projects that do these administrative type things before they
have any code are doomed to failure in my opinion, unless they have some
big blue backing ;) The ultimate example of this in my opinion is the
"Freedows" project of a few years back...but that is getting off track.

Anyways, this is the way I see it: You can talk all you want, and malign
struts and its developers all you want, but until you start implementing
what you want, nothing will happen.

Matt

p.s. I kind of hinted at this above, but I am kind of offended by the
"build a framework without ego in the core" comment in your proposal. It
seems to me that it was a personal attack on the struts committers and
how they drive the development. Just because the Struts developers do
not agree with your views sometimes, it does not mean the project is ego
driven. I have found the committers and the user/dev lists to be some of
the best, most helpful, least ego driven people in the open source
community. I can honestly say that I have never seen the "power" of
being a committer go to anybody's head.