struts-user mailing list archives

From <Hiran.Chaudh...@softwareag.com>
Subject RE: Internationalizing a Struts project
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:12:38 GMT
Hi, Craig.

You hit the bull's eye. No I claim this not only to be a JSP/Servlet problem.
The way you describe will cause the browser to encode all form data with UTF-8.
Unfortunately the servlet container (Tomcat in my case) does not know about this.

To obtain the correct parameter values, someone has to call (beware of Nullpointers and UnsupportedEncodingExceptions)

new String(request.getParameter("...").getBytes("ISO-8859-1"), "UTF-8")

This conversion must be applied to all parameter values. Either it is done once in Struts,
or each and every Action has to convert the values Struts provides, breaking this really nice
architecture of FormBeans. In Cocoon I see this type of conversion can be turned on and off
by configuration.

I recommend changing the RequestUtils' populate method (which I did for me), or enhancing
the RequestProcessor to allow RequestUtils to be replaced by subclasses thereof so people
like me can plug in their own RequestUtils. What do you think?

Hiran

Hiran Chaudhuri
SAG Systemhaus GmbH
Elsenheimer Straße 11