struts-user mailing list archives

From Pedro Salgado <salgado...@04web.com>
Subject Re: Hibernate VS ibatis, which is better?
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:31:26 GMT

  1.

  I think all of you are missing one big feature of iBatis: the Dao
framework.

  Even though, you like Hibernate, JDBC, SQL maps or any other kind/package
for persistence, in my opinion iBatis is always present (maybe not for
EJBs... but I cant talk of what I havent studied). The Dao framework plays a
fantastic role for abstracting the way I implement persistence and for
giving me the possibility of making another option in the future.

  2.

  About Hibernate itself, one of the things I donĀ¹t like is the HQL... If I
have to use HQL, then I would prefer plain old SQL... or use a possible
industry standard (JDO/JDOQL).

  You should take a look at OJB and Torque because, even though, they seem
to be less popular, they are also very good options. You can use Hibernate's
documentation to learn the basics of OR mapping (the documentation is, in
fact, pretty good) and then try using another framework.

 I have been using OJB for quiet a while and I am delighted with the
results. More, you can write you own persistence API and implement it so you
can switch easily between frameworks (the iBatis Dao framework with all of
the templates opens some possibilities for this, by implementing the
Templates).

  Regards,

Pedro Salgado