struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Barrows" <jbarr...@sssc.com>
Subject RE: How long does it take to master appfuse?
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:52:20 GMT

How long will it take you to go through the tutorial?

> Appfuse looks powerful but daunting to learn.
> It uses hibernate, xdoclet, junit, cactus, spring
> .. whatever, each technology can fill a book.

Most of it is cut, paste and modify cookbook stuff because appfuse takes out a lot of the
rest.

> Do I need to  learn J2EE to get full benefit of
> appfuse?

J2EE?   You already know part... JSP/Servlet... Do you mean JMS?  no Do you mean EJB? no
do you mean JTA? probably not.
The rest of J2EE?  Who knows...

> Can I get much out of appfuse if I don't use J2EE
> for development? Another way of saying this is
> , is using appfuse overkill for a simple web app
> that doesn't use J2EE?

Not really.. you have to use JSP/Servlet portions of J2EE at least...
IIRC JNDI is also part of J2EE..

> Just a side question, can eclipse validate dtd like
> intellij?

With the right plugin yes.  Of course with eclipse, the answer to any question beginning with
the phrase "Can eclipse...." is always "With the right plugin".