struts-user mailing list archives

From Matt Bathje <...@ntsource.com>
Subject Re: Validator - Browser Compatibility Issue
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:42:33 GMT
Seyhan Basmaci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have upgraded to Struts 1.2.2 , but we have encountered a problem. Embedded JavaScript
validators use the following code

>     function validateRequired(form) {
>         var isValid = true;
>         var focusField = null;
>         var i = 0;
>         var fields = new Array();
>         var formName = form.getAttributeNode("name");
>
> However, getAttributeNode is compatible with IE6.0+. Still many clients use IE5.0 &
5.5. Does anyone know whether this incopatibility will be fixed?

> Regards,

Seyhan -

This is probably something you need to ask on the commons/validator user
list and not on the struts list.

 From what I remember, this change came about because of the new
"multiple forms on the same page" feature of validator. The original
patch used the form.name property, but that messed up if you had a form
element with the name of "name". The options to fix that were to use
getAttributeNode or a big nasty loop through the form elements, and
getAttributeNode was chosen.

I would say this isn't a huge problem though, for 2 reasons. The first
is that the purpose of using vaildator is that you have client and
server side validation. In addition to that, most "browser statistics"
sites put IE5.5 (and lower) as being less than 10% of usage. You would
be doing a lot of work to support a very small population if you wanted
this "fixed".

Also, just FYI, Struts 1.2.2 is not a good version to be using. It is
probably best if you upgrade to the 1.2.4 build from the struts
acquiring page. (not the downloads page!)

Matt