struts-user mailing list archives

From "Guillermo Meyer" <gme...@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject RE: Struts development methodology
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:08:17 GMT
We are also working with Struts in a banking application.
In our case the requeriment was to have skinning capabilities, so we develop
a framework to manage skins and then open sourced it to Xkins (http://xkins.sourceforge.net/)

Our approach is to determine the pieces of the UI. We create a mock page
with all posible combinations and people from graphic designs create that
mock page with all UI elemens. Then, we extract this pieces of pages to
Xkin templates and use taglibs to decorate struts tags in the JSP pages.
These taglibs uses xkins templates. When we need to change a style or a
piece of HTML, we just change the Xkin template. And additionally, if we
need other skin, we create a new one and the application looks completely
different.

Of course, the secret is to determine the "pieces" so that you always can
compose your pages.

Xkins has also XkinsForms that has an implementation of this idea that you
could use and extend to add your own templates.

Xkins templates uses Velocity and you could use other template languages
like groovy or JByte.

HTH
Cheers.
Guillermo.