struts-user mailing list archives

From David Durham <david.durh...@scott.af.mil>
Subject Re: Hibernate VS ibatis, which is better?
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:33:44 GMT
Way to shut down a perfectly good thread, Ted.  ;-)  BTW, I read your
book.  When's the book covering 2.0 due?

Ted Husted wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:45:03 +1200, struts Dude wrote:
>

>> Seeing so many support for either side,
>> I might as well flip a coin to decide
>> whether or not to learn hibernate.
>>

>As a technologies, both are easy-to-use and powerful. The difference is that they use
different paradigms.

>As it stands today, a team has three major choices in data access libraries:
>
> 1. Roll your own persistence layer using the stock data access libraries (JDBC)
>
> 2. Use an Object-Relational-Modeling (ORM) Tool, like Hibernate or Apache OJB or Sun's
JDO

> 3. Use a Data Mapper framework, like iBATIS
>
>Rolling your own with the stock libraries are a good choice for small applications with
stable requirements. (If you're lucky enough to have one of those!)

>ORM tools (like Hibernate) are a good choice when:
>
> 1. Have complete control over your database implementation
>
> 2. Do not have a Database Adminisrator or SQL guru on the team
>
> 3. Want to model the problem domain outside the database as an object graph
>
>A Data Mapper (like iBATIS) is a good choice when:
>
> 1. You do not have complete control over the database implementation, or want to continue
to access a legacy database as it is being refactored

> 2. You have database administrators or SQL gurus on the team
>
> 3. The database is already being used to model the problem domain, and the application's
primary role is help the client use the existing database model.