struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nail, Evan Burke" <Evan.N...@ENRON.com>
Subject RE: Hibernate VS ibatis, which is better?
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:55:58 GMT
I've just looked at Hibernate a little so I am no expert, but it was pretty powerful. But we
really didn't need most of what it did, so we went with iBatis. Although I doubt I am pronouncing
it right even now.

We just wanted something to map beans to sql and didn't want to worry about a new QL ( I didn't
see that you could use straight sql in Hibernate and alas I hate QL). We didn't need to generate
beans from tables or tables from beans or anything like that. We tried a few and the beans
never got generated exactly correct, but that might be configurable.

Hibernate seemed more powerful but also more complicated.

Ibatis takes about 15 minutes to figure out and get up and running. It's persistent managers
take a little while to set up, but it just seemed quicker off the line. Our db was already
there, so if you were a new project and changing schemas often, Hibernates ability to gen
beans from tables etc might be nice.

I have not done any type of performance testing.

bn