struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank Zammetti" <fzamm...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Action messages.
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:57:59 GMT
You can "fake it" and do this... have a hidden <span> in your page that,
just before you submit your form, you display.  You will probably also want
to wrap everything else in your page in a <span> and hide it at the same
time.  I say this is "faking it" because the browser won't have any idea
what's going on on the server, which might be OK.

If you want some sort of progress bar though, something that actually has
knowledge of what's going on on the server, what you'll need to do is kick
off a thread in your Action, and store some reference to it persistently
(i.e., session or a database, etc.).  Then, you'll have to have a page on
the browser with something like a meta-refresh that calls some special
Action that can check the status of that thread, maybe get some sort of
percent complete or something like that to display back to the browser.

Obviously, if faking it is good enough, as it usually is in these cases,
that's by far the better choice.

Frank