struts-user mailing list archives

From mike <m...@michaelmcgrady.com>
Subject RE: Theoretical debate
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:08:42 GMT

At 06:42 AM 6/18/2004, Frank Zammetti wrote:
>You know, kind of off-topic, but you remind me of a conversation I had
>with someone at work here, maybe you guys would have some
>I ask because most of the Struts apps I've seen don't bother with the
>DTO's, they just pass the ActionForm to the subordinate classes, or else
>pass them as parameters.  It seems that regardless of what literature is
>telling is we should do, in practice (GENERALLY), people don't bother with
>the DTO's.
>
>Have I just looked at the wrong apps?  What are most people doing in this
>regard?
>
>Frank

I don't know what people are doing on the whole.  I do know that if people
are not using DTOs, DAOs, VOs, etc. they are missing the boat.  The initial
work is paid off in volumes.  Also, people don't use enough reflection.  I
think that the level of sophistication out there is a lot less than we
imagine.  For my money, the emphasis on IDEs suggests this.  Good
frameworks, hopefully, take us away from the IDE approach.

Michael