struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject RE: FW: code too large for try statement
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 15:12:14 GMT
At 1:38 PM +0530 5/19/04, Rahul Mohan wrote:
>Thank for the reply joe...
>
>	But the Tomcat I am using is 4.1 only.....I have checked the
>documentation
>and found out that both Tomcat4.1 and Weblogic8.1 is conformant to J2EE1.3
>( Servlet 2.3 / JSP 1.2 ) ....so the problem is not with the jsp specs....

hm.   I was going off of this page of release notes for Tomcat 4.1:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.0/tomcat/ReleaseNotes.html

"Maximum size of a JSP page - The JSP page compiler can generate a
Java class that exceeds the 64kb size limit on a single Java method
that is imposed by the JVM. A common way for this to occur is to
include large numbers (> 75) of custom tags in a single page. To work
around this problem, divide your large page into smaller pages, and
use the <jsp:include> standard action to combine them."

Maybe that was only for 4.1.2 and was fixed in later releases.

>further, i feel that the problem is with the mechanism with which the
>container translates the JSP to servlet when the JSP is having tags....

Ultimately, this is true.

>	Now, my question is whether we can configure Weblogic in some way to do
>the translation as Tomcat does? ( I need to use  Weblogic, thats a project
>requirement )

I think this is possible in theory, but unfortunately, I can't give
you instructions.  Tomcat uses a subsystem called "Jasper" for JSP
handling.  You could use Ant and Jasper to precompile your JSPs.
Perhaps you can figure out a way to reconfigure the application
server to use a different JSP compiler too.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jasper-howto.html

Joe

--
Joe Germuska